Thursday, November 22, 2007

Of Yarn and Spindles (oh, and turkey!)

I have been working on a few things the last couple of days. I am hoping to do some updates on the shop in the next couple of days. Here is a yarn that I am particularly proud of.



This is 49 yards of thick/thin yarn. It was made with purple merino and black corriedale that was carded together with lots of purple glitz. Then it was plied with a black thread.

Then this is a spindle that I had been working on in my spare time. It was all good until I got to the polyurethane coat. Turns out the slight tinge is very noticeable on the white paint. It's never shown up before because I have always used colored paints. I guess it will probably sit around the house until I decide what to do with it.


I don't know if it is terribly visible in this shot but most of the yellowing is in the area near the center. Its a little like the sealer pooled towards the middle or something. I liked the idea and hate that its no good now. I should rephrase that. It is good and capable of spinning, its a cosmetic defect that bothers me.

Lastly, here are a few spindles I am working on. One of the red top whorls and the lavender bottom whorl is for a custom request.



One last thought: Today is Thanksgiving Day in the US. It's a day with lots of meaning and lots of food. As I have gotten older, the Thanksgiving traditions have been slowly changing. First, it was because I moved out of the house (and out of town.) Then it was because I was married and had a family. (Coordinating with two families who never want to leave their own town is a pain.) I'm seriously thinking starting my own Thanksgiving Dinner. I mean, I hope to be in my own house and not an apartment next year. If that's the case, it will probably be a "to hell with the rest of you, this years Thanksgiving is at my house. Come if you want, reserve a week in advance." Well, I would probably be cursed at and eating with just my own family. One can hope though can't they. There is so much to work on and so much that I need to accomplish next year. It's a long and tiring list so I wont go into it. Also, if I don't actually list the items no one has to know if I failed. =P
Finally, Remember to give thanks for the things that you have, love, cherish, adore EVERY day. Being appreciative for the things in your life shouldn't be limited to one day a year. Especially not a day that is steeped in the history and symbolism of this country.

No comments: