Monday, January 28, 2008

... and now and interruption from real life.

I have to say this. The economy stinks!

My job had a round of lay offs and it affected my department badly. Sure you can say I was one of the lucky ones. I still have a job and more work to do. Its hard for me. I'm a rhyme and reason sort of girl. I want to know how they picked the people they did. Why people with more tenure, better experience. Pregnant co-workers. People with disabled spouses. Sure, they get a severance package, and yes, they will get paid for the "notice time." But that doesn't help does it. How do you feel secure in your job when you know people you worked with every day are gone?

Gas prices are high. Milk prices are higher. Eggs are no longer a dollar a dozen, they are 2 1/2 dollars. I mean, I remember when I was sixteen (not terribly long ago, I promise) and I was yearning to drive a car. $1.00 a gallon didn't seem to shabby then, it certainly would be great now.

I don't know, sometimes I think about getting away. I don't mean running away, just starting in a new area. A chance to get a little excitement. I'm tempted to go to Alaska even. I mean, they have subsidies lower cost of living and higher wages (to offset the higher housing costs.)

Anyway, this isn't a political statement. I didn't even care to hear the last Bush State of the Union (hopefully ever, no more Bushes in office!) This is just a mini rant as to how the down turn of the economy is putting a squeeze on a random internet blogger.

.... We now return you to your regularly scheduled crafting, chatty, blogging blog!

No comments: