Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Quest for a new job CAREER

Yea, I tend to disappear and not write for a few days. I try for it not to be more than a week but sometimes life happens. I shouldn't say that, life always happens when it comes to me. If it's not one thing it's another. So here is my "once-in-a-blue-moon" real life rant.

Today at work was like any other.
-Go to work
-struggle not to fall asleep from boredom
-work
-check random Etsy, Project Wonderful and email accounts
- eat lunch
- finish working
- rush out the door and straight home


Really, its an idea schedule when you think about it. Minimum amount of work, time to feed off the companies high speed internet .... and go home. Considering my schedule (7:30a - 4p) and pay (not up for disclosure) plus the area I live in (mid-state), you know cost of living issues... I get paid well. The problem with the idea that I get paid well is that the pay is not sufficient for my needs.

Now that may come across as high maintenance, especially considering that I'm a crafty person know for picking up spare supplies, but its not. Trust me it is not. See, I'm one of those lowly college graduates who left school up to my eyeballs in debt. Have I started paying down that debt ..... you take a guess. It's plain hard to live these days and working in a virtually dead-end job just makes it worse.

What really got me today is this: There was a change to the payscale at work. Unfortunately, I was under the impression that it would be across the board. Silly me, its not... just those who were under the cut off for minimum pay at the new rate. Their getting pay increases. Also, the change in payscale doesn't affect my merit raise in October. (Mind you at the last minute they moved these from April to October with no retro active effect.) And to top if all off my chances for a promotion are nil... nil....

Why do you think my schedule runs like it does. I can do my job. I like it alright. It pays decent. It just lacks one main thing... I'm not an asset. In fact, they are doing away with the one system I flourish at... as many times as I have discussed, talked about, pointed out my successes etc... I can't move to the next level. It's not even supervisory, its mastery of your job which I have done on so many levels but its not enough. I just don't have the motivation to work so hard at a (corporate) job that doesn't fulfill me on a basic level. I'm just not interested.

So that's it. That's the end of my rant today. As of this post I am going to begin searching for a new place to work. One that will see me as an asset and respond to me accordingly. I know it is hard in the economy and a company has to do whats best for themselves but if they want good, quality workers (and they should) then they should really listen to the employees needs individually just as they do the overall employee base. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for special treatment. I am, however, looking for acknowledgment and action. Its not enough just to say "we're listening" over and over and over again.... PROVE IT!

I'll try to document some successes and failures along the way. Don't worry, I promise not to take to much time away from the pursuit of fiber things.

So, any suggestions on where to apply?

1 comment:

Alpaca Granny said...

Have no idea where you can apply for a new job. Definitely not here in midMichigan. You sound very bored and rather unhappy, so good luck in finding something more fulfilling.