Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Civic Duty

For the better part of this week I have participated in one of two processes in which a person will ever directly take part in the democratic process. At least that is what I was told by the court clerk. That's right all, I have jury duty.

Of course, in an effort not to infringe on any rights or be found in contempt of court for being verbose.... I'm not saying anything about jury duty. It's something that has to be done whether one likes it or not. That being said I find there is no joy in sitting through a court case only to find out that you are the alternate juror. So what does the alternate juror do? NOTHING! I'm not in the deliberation room, I'm not in the courtroom. I sit outside watching all the people going by and occasionally being checked on by the bailiff.

My new statement/definition (for the day) is:



Alternate Juror - All the advantages of a juror with none of the advantages of a juror.


This is a smart crowd I'm sure you know what I mean.

No comments: