So I finally finished the hand knit blanket for my Mom's co-worker. The finally specs ended up being 90 stitches wide times 6 skeins. So instead of having vertical stripes we ended up with horizontal stripes.
This picture is from Friday night. Saturday morning I wove in the loose ends and traveled to Atlanta to take it to my mom.
Also, here is a picture with the original blanket for comparison. If I went with the original 7 skeins of yarn the blanket would have been both longer and wide. Still this is a good size for a baby blanket.
Mom also picked up the pink fleece tie blanket for her other co-worker's baby girl and commissioned a blue fleece tie for the baby boy. Whew! No more blanket knitting for a while. =D